Dog may be man’s best friend but do you know what your dog is leaving in your carpet?
We love our dogs along with the loyalty and companionship they bring us. But dogs make messes and bring the dirty outdoors into our homes and onto our clean carpets.
- Saliva: A dog has at least 20 species of bacteria in its mouth.
- Pet Waste (Urine/Faeces): There are 23 million faecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of waste.
- Fleas/Ticks: Householders spend billions of dollars per year controlling fleas – the largest expense for pet owners.
- Dander: An estimated 10% of the population is allergic to animals, with pet dander being the main cause.
- Dirt: Studies have shown that dirt carries many different varieties of bacteria and one square foot of carpet can hold up to one pound of dirt.
How these affect you and your family
What’s left behind by our beloved pets can lead to indoor air quality issues and contribute to several health concerns for our families.
- Skin Infections
- Stomach Illness
- Worsened Asthma
Solutions for conquering these issues
1. Adding doormats
By adding doormats you can absorb water, dirt and mud from your dog’s paws to help your floors stay cleaner and longer.
2. Bathe your dog regularly
Regular baths for your dog not only keep their coat shiny; a weekly bath can decrease the level of allergens by 84% along with decreasing the dirt being brought into your home. It keeps your furry friend smelling nice, too!
3. Treat pee stains immediately
Treat pee stains right away to keep urine from seeping into your carpet padding, causing permanent damage. Dogs will also often return to the same spot, so the stains need to be addressed as quickly as possible. Keep an odour remover on hand and call your Chem-Dry Eastern Suburbs professional to treat older accidents and get rid of strong odour problems.
4. Have your carpets professionally cleaned
Vacuuming alone is not enough. The EPA recommends homes with young children and pets have their carpets professionally cleaned every 3-6 months for the most effective removal of accumulated dog hair, odour, stains and outdoor contaminants that come with pet ownership.